Srikanth Kidambi is an Indian badminton player. He is associated with the Gopichand Badminton Academy in Hyderabad for professional training. In April 2018, he was ranked world number 1 in the BWF rankings. He is the recipient of the Padma Shri and Arjuna awards. In 2021, Srikanth Kidambi clinched a silver medal in the World Championship final in the men’s singles event and became the first Indian badminton player to win the same.
Srikanth Kidambi was born as Srikanth Nammalwar Kidambi on Sunday, 7 February 1993 (age 29 years; as of 2022) in Ravulapalem, Andhra Pradesh, India. His zodiac sign is Aquarius.
Height (approx.): 5′ 10″
Weight (approx.): 73 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Body Measurements (approx.): – Chest: 38 Inches, Waist: 30 Inches, Biceps: 13 Inches
Parents & Siblings
His father’s name is Kittu Kidambi, and he is a Landowner. His mother’s name is Radha, and she is a homemaker.
Srikanth Kidambi with his parents
Srikanth Kidambi has an elder brother named Nandagopal Kidambi who is a badminton player and an auditor at Indian Audit & Accounts Department.
Srikanth Kidambi with his brother
His cousin sister, Ruthvika Shivani, is an Indian badminton player.
Srikanth Kidambi with his cousin sister
Srikanth Kidambi is not married.
In 2011, Srikanth Kidambi participated in the Commonwealth Youth Games and he bagged a bronze medal in men’s doubles and silver in mixed doubles. In the same year, he competed in the All India Junior International Badminton Championship organised in Pune and won the singles and doubles category titles. In 2012, Srikanth Kidambi clinched the men’s singles title at the Maldives International Challenge after defeating his opponent Zulfadli Zulkiffli of Malaysia. In 2013, he participated in the Thailand Open Grand Prix Gold event and bagged the men’s singles title. In the same year, he competed in the All India Senior National Championships in Delhi and won his first senior national title after beating his opponent Parupalli Kashyap. In 2014, Srikanth Kidambi participated in the China Open Super Series Premier and defeated 5-time World Champion and 2-time Olympic Champion Lin Dan in straight games. Upon winning this event, he became the first Indian to win a Super Series Premier men’s title. In 2015, Srikanth Kidambi competed in the Swiss Open Grand Prix Gold and defeated his opponent Viktor Axelsen and became the first Indian badminton player to win a gold medal in these events. Upon winning this event, he became the winner of the India Open Super Series title.
Srikanth Kidambi in 2015
In 2016, Srikanth Kidambi competed in the Syed Modi International Badminton Championships Grand Prix Gold title and won the title after defeating his opponent Huang Yuxiang.
Srikanth Kidambi after winning the Syed Modi International Badminton Championships in 2016
In the same year, Srikanth Kidambi clinched two gold medals in the men’s team and men’s singles in the South Asian Games by defeating his opponent Prannoy Kumar in the singles final. In 2016, he participated in the Rio Olympics and entered the Round of 16 of the men’s singles after defeating his opponents Lino Muñoz and Henri Hurskainen. In 2017, Srikanth Kidambi became the first Indian badminton palter to win the Indonesia Super Series by defeating his opponent Kazumasa Sakai of Japan by 21–11, 21–19.
Srikanth Kidambi after winning the Indonesia Super Series
In the same year, Srikanth Kidambi defeated Lee Hyun-il of Korea and won the Super Series championships organised in Denmark. In 2018, he participated in the Commonwealth Games organised in Gold Coast and won a gold in the mixed team event and a silver in the singles event. Upon winning this event, he was ranked number one in the world ranking. In 2018, Srikanth Kidambi participated in the South Asian Games and clinched a gold medal in the team event. In 2022, he competed in the Indian men’s team for Thomas Cup, and during the final event, the Indian team beat Indonesia by 3-0.
Indian Badminton Team after winning the Thomas Cup
Awards, Honours, Achievements
In 2014, Srikanth Kidambi became the first Indian Badminton player to win the “China Open Super Series Premier.” In 2015, he became the first Indian to clinch a gold medal at “Swiss Open Grand Prix Gold.” In the same year, he was honoured with the Arjuna Award. On 18 June 2017, he participated in the Indonesia Open Super Series Premier Title after beating Japan’s Sakai. In April 2018, Srikanth Kidambi attained the top men’s singles rankings in Badminton with 76895 points. In 2018, he was honoured with the Padmashri award by the President of India.
Srikanth Kidambi while receiving the Padmashri in 2018
- In 2013, Srikanth Kidambi was associated with the Awadhe Warriors team, which finished second in the Indian Badminton League.
Srikanth Kidambi while playing for the Awadhe Warriors team in 2013
- In 2017, Srikanth Kidambi, along with his teammate, Sai Praneeth, created history when they became the first-ever Indian pair to enter the finals of an international ranking event in badminton during the Singapore Super Series Title.
- In 2017, Srikanth Kidambi was honoured with a Thar car by the owner of the Mahindra company.
A car gifted to Srikanth by Mahindra company
- On 19 December 2021, Srikanth Kidambi became the first Indian badminton player who reached the finals of the World Championship organised in Huelva and created history for India.
- Srikanth Kidambi is a compassionate animal lover. He has a pet dog. He often shares pictures of his pet dog on social media.
Srikanth Kidambi with his pet dog
- According to Srikanth, in his childhood, he was inspired to opt for badminton as a sport after watching his elder brother playing it. He considers the former Indian badminton player, Pullela Gopichand as his role model.
- Srikanth Kidambi remains very active on various s social media platforms. He is followed by over 167k people on Instagram. Over 250k people follow his Facebook page. He often shares pictures and videos and social media.
- Srikanth Kidambi regularly practices yoga and meditation.
Srikanth Kidambi while practicing meditation